Bwaaahaha! That's what I told myself, "Just try it, already!", and look what happened! I really can't believe that this worked out as well as it did.
Because I save broken glass stuff (I can hear you, Eric!), I had two broken wine glasses from the set that belonged to my parents, one glass with a broken base, and one with a broken top. It occurred to me that maybe, just possibly, I could use the torch to combine the good parts to make a new glass. I figured I really didn't have anything to lose.
I couldn't believe that the glass didn't fracture while heating up or cooling down. And I can't believe how well the junction turned out. I hoped to do something besides a lump where I melted them together, but I didn't expect to be so happy with the connection. This "crystal" glass seems to have a fairly low melting point, but not the sensitivity to thermal shock that the "soft glass" rods that I have for bead making have. Score!
Before you start bringing me broken wine glasses to fix, keep in mind that I think this was beginner's luck! A martini glass that I tried to re-attach to its base did not work. So it goes back in the garden.
Uh, those weren't the only glasses to break. This is one that I slumped in the kiln until it was flat. I did this a while ago.