Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sock Yarn Fingerless Gloves

Sock Yarn Fingerless Gloves 

This pattern was actually designed when I wanted to use up the yarn left over after knitting a pair of socks.  At the time I was using Red Heart Heart & Sole sock yarn (50g/195m).  I wasn't sure if I would have enough to complete anything more than a wrist band, so be forewarned - I can't promise that you will have enough yarn when you have leftovers from your socks!  But you can use any sock yarn and definitely get a pair (maybe even 2) out of a full 50g skein of sock yarn.

These were designed to fit my hand - wrist = 6", hand measured below knuckles = 7.5".  Be prepared to tweak it to fit the hand you're knitting for!

Using size 2 double-pointed needles, cast on 56 stitches.  
Distribute stitches evenly across 3 or 4 needles, join in the round and work in K2, P2 ribbing for 3", or to whatever length you want the wristband portion to be.
Switch to stockinette stitch and knit for another 1.25" or so, depending on how much you want your thumb to stick out - go longer if you want your lowest thumb knuckle covered.  I could have gone another .5" to be even with my first thumb knuckle...
Bind off 6 stitches for the thumb hole.  Big thumb?  Bind off more!
Now work back and forth doing the stockinette stitch for approximately 1" or so, leaving the gap for the thumb hole.  When you finish a purl (wrong side) row, cast on 6 stitches (purl-wise is how I did the cast on), then flip the glove over to the right side and connect the cast on stitches to the stitches other side of the thumb hole by knitting in the first stitch there.  Now you can go back to knitting in the round again!
Work in K2,P2 ribbing for approximately 1.25", or for as long as you want!  My gloves just cover my knuckles.
Bind off loosely.




No comments: