Monday, February 2, 2009

Plagued by Air Bubbles

Thinking I had this air bubble situation, or apparent lack of a situation,  figured out, I did a batch of heart pendants last night without frit in the middle of the hearts.  Arrgghhh!  Bubbles galore, and larger ones this time, which is what I expected in the first place.  I think it was a fluke that my "control" in the first batch didn't have a bubble trapped in the middle of the heart.  So back to the frit idea tomorrow.  These pictures seem to be darker when I upload them, but you can still see what I'm talking about....











My favorite is this one.  I did it on a whim using clear glass for both the top and bottom layers.  It kind of looks like a heart frozen in ice: 



Anyway, enough whining about these pendants.  So far I have been hanging pendants on a black vinyl/fake leather look cord with silver latch findings that you slip onto the ends of the cord and pinch tight.  But I might also look into that metal bead cord, too.  I've been obsessed with that stuff since I was little and my grandma's bathtub plug was attached to the tub with a length of it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the clear one too. What is a frit?

Staci A said...

Hey, thanks! Frit is ground up glass that looks like sand. It actually comes in different "sizes", I guess you would say. (They probably have a better official term for that - I can't recall!) And different colors! I just have the finest size of clear. It melts just like the pieces of flat glass. It's been my secret weapon in the past when I fused crocheted and knitted wire in between pieces of glass! Lots of potential air bubbles to try to tone down...

I have a TINY antique salt spoon that I used to put the frit inside my little copper hearts for the pendants! I'd never used it for anything before - it was just a cute thing I happened to find once!! Good thing I'm a packrat?!

Anonymous said...

I like the air bubbles, they can be thoughts that you attach to the hearts! -Angela